Apple announced iOS 17 with great new features on June 5 2023 at their annual Worldwide Developer Conference. The latest version of iOS is likely to roll with the iPhone 15 series in September this year. But, what if you want to try out the latest iOS on your iPhone or iPad before its official public release? Well, there’s a way in which you can try out the all-new iOS 17 on your Apple device earlier than your friends and everyone else.
In this guide, we will be discussing ways to install the Public Beta version of iOS 17 on your device. We will also talk about devices that are capable of using this new version of iOS. Before we begin with steps, keep in mind that beta versions of iOS can be laggy and might contain bugs, it is suggested to take a complete backup of your device and try it at your own risk.
Devices Compatible with iOS 17
If you are an iPhone user chances are you will be getting the iOS 17 update. But in case you own an older model of iPhone and are confused about whether your device will support iOS 17.
Here’s the list of all iPhones that will be eligible for the latest iOS update:
- iPhone 15 series
- iPhone 14 series
- iPhone 13 series
- iPhone 12 series
- iPhone 11 series
- iPhone XS & XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone SE (2nd generation or later)
Devices Compatible with iPadOS 17
iPadOS 17 will bring tons of new features for iPad users too, so get excited to experience the all-new iPadOS. But before that check from the below list if your iPad is compatible with receiving the new update.
- iPad Pro 12.9 inch (2nd generation or later)
- iPad Pro 10.5 inch
- iPad Pro 11 inch (1st generation or later)
- iPad Air (3rd generation or later)
- iPad (6th generation or later)
- iPad mini (5th generation or later)
Download iOS 17 Public Beta on Your iPhone and iPad
Now, let’s start the download process for iOS and iPadOS 17. Remember the steps remain the same for both iPad and iPhone, whatever step we follow for iPhone will apply to iPad as well.
1. Enroll Beta Program
First, you have to enroll your Apple device for the beta program. For that, follow these steps:
1. Open the Safari browser on your device and visit this link – beta.apple.com
2. Once you are on the website tap on Sign Up to enroll in the Apple Beta Software Program. If you are already enrolled, you can tap on Sign in.
3. On the next step, tap on the Continue button if you want to use your default Apple ID for signing up. You can also use a different Apple ID for the same by clicking on the option present below.
4. Now, that you have signed in using your Apple account, on the next page you will be presented with an Agreement form. Read it carefully, scroll down, and tap on the Agree button.
5. After you agree to the Agreement, you will be taken to the next step where you will be asked to select your device.
6. Choose iOS if you want a beta update for your iPhone else select iPadOS if you have an iPad.
7. On the same page scroll down a little and under the Get Started heading tap on the Enroll your iOS device option.
2. Downloading the Beta Profile
On the next screen, you will get the option to download the latest iOS beta profile. To download it, follow these steps:
1. Tap on the Open Beta Updates option. If you have updated your device is running on iOS 16.6 or later.
2. In case you have an older version of iOS you need to first download a configuration profile. Tap on Download the configuration profile.
3. You will receive a download pop-up. Tap on the Allow button to download the latest beta profile of iOS 17
4. Now go to Settings > General > VPN & Device Management. There you will find the iOS 17 Beta Software Profile, tap on it.
5. Tap Install and you will be prompted to a Consent screen, here again, tap on Install. Your iPhone will now install the Beta Software Profile.
6. After the Profile is successfully installed, you will get a pop-up asking to Restart your iPhone.
7. Tap on Restart and your device will now restart itself.
Install iOS 17 Beta on iPhone and iPad
By following the above steps you have now installed the iOS Beta Software Profile. Now, we will be downloading and installing iOS 17 Public Beta on your iPhone/iPad.
For that, follow these steps for installing iOS 17 Public Beta on your iPhone or iPad:
1. Once your device is restarted. Go to Settings > General > Software Update. There you will find the Beta Updates option, tap on it.
2. Inside the Beta Updates menu, select iOS 17 Public Beta and go back to the Software update menu.
3. Here, you will see that the iOS 17 Beta update is available to download. Tap on Download and Install to initiate the download process. You will be asked to enter your device passcode and agree to the terms and conditions.
4. The Software Update will now take some time to download depending on your network connection. Once the Update is downloaded successfully, tap on Install now and your device will shut down. It will take approximately 20-25 minutes for the update to get installed, be patient at this stage.
5. After the device boots up, again go to Settings > General > Software Update. Here you will see that iOS 17 Public Beta is installed on your iPhone.
That’s it! This is how you can download and install iOS 17 Beta on your iPhone and iPad. You can now enjoy the new features of iOS 17 Public Beta on your iPhone and iPad. Just remember that iOS 17 Public Beta is still in its testing phase, which means it might have some bugs and issues that need to be addressed. If you encounter any problems, you can always go back to the stable version of iOS by removing the beta profile from your device.
In case you are having any trouble or are stuck on any step while installing the beta version of iOS 17. Feel free to tell us in the comments and we will be happy to help.