Windows 11 operating system offers two login options one with a local account and another with a Microsoft account. If you want to sync all your data from Microsoft then you can use a Microsoft account to log in. It will sync all your passwords, settings, app and data, OneDrive data, and more.
If you log in with a local account then you will not get this data. When you use a local account, all your data will be saved locally. Unfortunately, if you delete any data you can not recover it. So, if you want to sync all your windows 11 devices then you can log in with a Microsoft account. However, you can easily switch between using a local account or a Microsoft account to sign in to Windows 11.
Also Read: How to Change Username on Windows 11
Local Account vs Microsoft Account
Signing in to Windows 11 with a Microsoft account lets you:
- Download Apps from the Microsoft Store.
- Get your online content in Microsoft Apps automatically.
- You will get all the online purchases you have made with your Microsoft account automatically.
- Sync settings online to make PCs look and feel the same – like your browser history, account picture, and color.
- Get all your OneDrive files and folders
Signing in to Windows 11 with a local account means:
- You have to create a username and account for each PC you use.
- While not recommended, you can remove the account password if you like.
- You’ll need to sign in to the Microsoft Store with a Microsoft account to download apps from the Microsoft Store.
- Your settings won’t be synced across the PCs that you use.
How to Change Login Account On Windows 11
In this section, we are going to discuss how to switch to a Local Account from Microsoft Account in Windows 11 and vice versa.
Step 1: Click on “Start Menu” and click on “Settings”.
Step 2: Now click on “Account“, then click on “Your Info“.
Step 3: Clickon the Sign in with a local account instead link on the right side.
Step 4: You will get a confirmation window, here click on “Next“.
Step 5: Enter your Microsoft account credentials to verify.
Step 6: Now enter your local account info and click on “Next” and comfirm you local account and click on “Sign Out and Finish“.
How to Switch to Microsoft Account in Windows 11
Now if you want to log in with a Microsoft account then you can follow the same steps. Instead of “Sign in with a local account instead “, you will get “Sign in with a Microsoft account instead “. Here just provide your Microsoft username and password and restart your computer.
That’s it, this is how you can switch to a Local Account from Microsoft Account in Windows 11 and vice versa. I hope this article helped you!