If you have a higher resolution display panel, and however have a low clarity then you must fix your screen resolution on the Windows operating system. Thescreen resolution refers to the clarity of the text and images displayed on your Windows PC screen.
Changing your screen resolution can be a good way to increase the overall clarity of your display on Windows 11. Here’s how you can change the screen resolution on Windows 11. If you want, you can also set custom screen resolutions on Windows 11.
Table of Contents
What is the Screen Resolution?
Screen Resolution refers to the sharpness or clarity of the text and images displayed on your computer screen. At higher resolutions such as 1920 * 1080 pixels, the text and images will be crystal clear but at the same time, the text and icons will be much smaller.
That means you can fit more text and images into your display. Now at lower resolutions such as 800 * 600 pixels, fewer items fit on the screen but they appear larger and you will also compromise sharpness.
Note:- The screen resolution you can use depends on the resolution of your display monitor.
Why do You Need to Change the Screen Resolution?
This is really a personal decision to change the screen resolution. But here I want to mention situations where you can change the screen resolution.
If you spend much of your time in front of a computer display, then adjust the screen resolution to what you feel comfortable with, this will reduce eyestrain.
Now if you make a computer tutorial by capturing your computer screen then you should change the screen resolution to 1920 * 1080. Say, for example, you have a 2K, 4K, or wide display. As I mentioned earlier higher the resolution smaller the text and images.
Those who are watching your computer tutorial, might not have 2K, 4K, or wide display. But everyone has a 1920 * 1080 display right? They can easily understand your computer tutorials because text and images are clearly visible. This is my pro tip if you make computer tutorials.
How to Change Screen Resolution on Windows 11
Here in this section, I am going to show you how you can change the screen resolution on Windows 11 using three different methods. So here we go.
1. Using Settings
The simplest and most straightforward method to change any settings on Windows is through the Windows Settings app. Here are the steps you can follow to change the display resolution on Windows 11.
1. On the new Windows 11 we get a centered taskbar, click on the Windows icon to open the Start Menu and click on Settings.
2. Next, click on the System tab from the left pane of the Settings window, and then select the Display options present to the right of your screen.
3. Under the Scale & Layout section, you will find all the display-related settings. If you want, you can increase the size of the display elements by using the Scale option. From the drop-down menu, select the scale percentage for the display scale.
Note: This option will not change the screen resolution but it will change the size of text, apps, and other items.
4. Now if you want to change the display resolution, select the drop-down menu next to the Display resolution option and select the screen resolution settings you want to use. Windows will always recommend your monitor’s built-in optimal display resolution when looking at these settings.
5. Click Keep Changes to use the new resolution or click Revert to go back to the previous resolution.
That’s it! This is how you can change the display resolution and display scale using the Windows settings. However, there are other ways to change the display resolution on Windows operating systems. Let’s discuss them.
2. Using Display Adapter Properties
You can also change the display resolution on your monitor screen using the display adapter properties window, which includes graphics card details and other information on your display resolution.
Here are the steps you can follow to do so:
1. Press the Win + I key combination to open Windows Settings.
2. Click on the System settings and then select the Display option from the right pane.
3. Now, click on the Advanced Display option in the Related Settings section.
4. Here, in the Display Information section, look for the Display adapter properties option and click on it.
5. After that, you will get the Monitor and Graphics Properties window. Here, click on the List All Modes button.
6. Then choose a resolution option on the List All Modes window.
7. Now to save the changes, click on the OK button.
8. After that, click on the Apply button and then click on the OK button to close the window.
3. Using Graphics Control Panel
You can also change the display resolution using the Graphics Control Panel, such as the NVIDIA Control Panel and the Built-in AMD/Intel GPU Software. Since I have an NVIDIA Graphics card, I will show you how to do it with it.
Here is how you can use the graphics control panel to change the display resolution:
1. Right-click on the desktop and select Show More Options from the context menu that appears.
2. A new context menu will appear. Here, click on the graphics control panel. In my case, I will select the NVIDIA Control Panel option.
3. Now, expand the Display option
4. Click on Change Resolution and select the resolution from the scroll bar. Even you can change the refresh rate of your display from the drop-down menu.
5. Then click on the Apply button to save the changes.
How to Set Custom Screen Resolution on Windows 11
If you want to set a custom screen resolution on Windows 11, then you can do it with your graphic card control panel. For that, you have to install some software.
NVIDIA Control Panel: It is software that comes by default after you’ve installed an NVIDIA graphics card on your PC.
Built-in AMD/Intel GPUs Software: It is software that comes by default if you have integrated GPU on your system.
If you are an NVIDIA user, open the NVIDIA Control Panel. To open it right-click on the desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel to open the software.
Once opened, follow the steps below to create your custom resolution:
1. Navigate to the Display option.
2. Click on the Change Resolution option.
3. Now to set the custom resolution of your choice click Customize button.
4. Now, a menu will pop up on the screen. Here, click on Create Custom Resolution.
5. Now, type in your desired resolution in Horizontal and Vertical pixels. If you’re aiming to create a custom QHD resolution (2560 x 1440), enter those values.
6. After that, click Test to check if the resolution change is working or not. If it does not work, you should be able to revert to your previous resolution.
Note: Similarly, you can use the Built-in AMD/Intel GPU software to set custom screen resolution on Windows 11.
That’s it; this is how you can change your screen resolution on Windows 11. Now, if you want to change the monitor refresh rate, you can check our detailed guide on it. For that, follow the linked article.
We hope this article was helpful to use. If you liked the article, then you can share it with your friends. Please feel free to ask any questions; you may have in the comments section below. We are always there to assist you.
He is a prominent tech writer with over six years of experience and the founder of TheCoderWord. He delivers high-quality content revolving around troubleshooting and how-to guides for Windows, Linux, macOS, Chrome, and more.