If you have a Chromebook, it is really important to keep your Chromebook up to date. Software updates are important for the smooth running of your Chromebook. Chromebooks are powerful and simple laptops, that run on Chrome OS, an operating system made by Google. On the Chromebook, you can do all the work, you do on the internet. It is simple to use, speedy and secure.
To keep it more secure with the latest security patches, bug fixes, and performance tweaks, you have to update it regularly. Here’s a guide on how to update your Chromebook or Google Chrome OS to the latest version of Chrome OS.
In this section, we will discuss the steps to update your Chromebook to the latest ChromeOS software version.
Usually, your Chromebook automatically checks for the latest ChromeOS update when you are connected to the internet. If an update is available, it downloads and installs it automatically.
If you want to check for the update manually and install it, follow the steps below:
1. Click on the App Drawer and select the Settings icon. Or else, you can also go to Settings from the notification panel.
2. It will open the Settings window. Here, on the left, select the About Chrome OS option to check for the ChromeOS update.
3. Here, you’ll find all the information about your Chrome OS – like which version of the Chrome operating system is installed on your Chromebook and more.
4. To check for the latest Chrome OS update, click on the Check for Updates button.
5. If an update is available, it will begin downloading. Once the download is complete, the update will automatically install on your Chromebook.
Note: The update process may take some time, so please wait for it to complete.
6. After your update process is completed. Click on Restart to finish the update and wait for the reboot.
Install ChromeOS Update from the Notifications
If the update was automatically downloaded on your Chromebook, then you have to take some action to install it on your Chromebook. Usually, you’ll get the Restart to Update option on the notifications panel.
Here’s how you can install the ChromeOS Update from the notifications panel:
1. Open the notification panel by clicking on the Update icon located in the bottom-right corner of your screen.
2. Then, click on Restart to Update.
By following the aforementioned steps, you can easily update your Chromebook. That’s it; this is how you can check for and update your Chromebook to the latest version of ChromeOS. If you wish to install Linux apps on your Chromebook, you can install a Linux development environment on it.
I hope this article has been helpful to you. If you found it useful, feel free to share it with your friends. If you have any suggestions or doubts, please don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below. We will incorporate them into the guide.
He is a prominent tech writer with over six years of experience and the founder of TheCoderWord. He delivers high-quality content revolving around troubleshooting and how-to guides for Windows, Linux, macOS, Chrome, and more.