Google Chrome is one of the most widely used web browsers and the most popular around the globe. It is known for its user-friendly interface, fast browsing speed, and various features that make it a popular choice among users. One of these features is the ability to manage website permissions.
With this feature, users can control what websites can access on their computers, including their location, camera, and microphone. Here, we will discuss how to manage website permissions in Google Chrome. If you have not installed Google Chrome, then check our guide on; how to install Google Chrome on Windows 11.
Table of Contents
How to Manage Website Permission in Chrome
Managing website permissions in Google Chrome is important for ensuring your privacy and security when browsing the web.
Here are the steps you can follow to manage website permissions in the Google Chrome browser:
1. Open Google Chrome on your computer.
2. Click on the three dots icon in the Chrome window’s top-right corner to open the settings menu. Or else, you can enter this chrome://settings/ on your Google Chrome address bar.
3. From the settings menu page. Click on the Privacy and Security tab, and under the Privacy Security section, click the Site Settings option.
4. Under the Site Settings page, once you scroll a bit downwards, you will find a list of permissions that websites generally request in the middle of the page.
5. These permissions include location, camera, microphone, notifications, pop-ups, and more. You can choose to Allow or Block these permissions for all websites or specific websites.
6. Select the permission you want to manage from the list. Here you will get two choices: one is to Allow Access, and another is to Block. It is always recommended to be cautious about allowing permissions to websites, as when you permit them, they get direct access to the listed components of your system, which can be unsafe.
7. You will also find the list of websites that have permission to access the listed components under the permissions section. If you want, you can eliminate them from the list.
8. On the Site Settings page, under the Additional Permissions option, you will find more components listed that are of specific use, and many professional websites ask for your permission to produce accurate results according to your requirements. Still, whether to Allow or Block is upon you.
Manage Permissions for a Single Website in Chrome
However, by following the above-mentioned steps, you can change the global default permission settings. If you want to quickly change the permission for a single website, then Chrome also allows you to do so.
For that, follow the following steps:
1. Open the Google Chrome browser on your PC.
2. Then, visit the site for which you want to manage the permissions. After that, click on the lock icon located to the left of the address bar to reveal an overlay window.
3. After that, locate and click on the Site Settings option from the menu that appears.
4. This action will open a separate settings tab in the Chrome browser.
5. Now, you can view the list of all permissions and their current status for the particular website.
6. To change any permission, click on the drop-down menu next to each category and choose your preferred options. By default, all the permissions are set to Ask. However, if you want you can – Allow or Block the permissions.
Note: From the permissions settings window, you can rest all the permissions to default by clicking on the Reset Permissions button.
7. After that, reload the site to apply the modified permission on that site.
Managing website permissions in Google Chrome is essential to ensure your privacy and security while browsing the internet. Following the steps outlined in this guide, you can easily manage website permissions and control what websites can access on your computer. Remember to review your website permissions regularly to ensure that you only allow access to the websites you trust.
That’s it; this is how you can manage website permission in Chrome. We hope you find the guide helpful. However, if you have any queries regarding the process, write them in the comment section below.
He is a technical nerd by trade, having started out with computer software and hardware and then moving on to networking and telecommunications. He also enjoys smart devices and smartphones, and shares a tremendous love for cricket and music.