Ever wonder why the torrent websites are getting blocked? The candid and straightforward answer would be to protect proprietary contents. If you are a Netflix subscriber, you will not pay the monthly subscription if your favorite shows are available for free. However, for those you don’t know, there is a solution by which you can access websites which are for some reason blocked in your area.
The solution is to use a Virtual Portable Network (VPN). Some people are already aware of what a VPN is, and some don’t know its disadvantages. So, in this article, we will first discuss what a VPN is, and then we will discuss some of its pros and cons.
What is a VPN?
VPN (Virtual Portable Network) is an online service, which can hide your original IP address and uses a computer-generated virtual IP address of other geographic location. Are you confused? Well, don’t be! What VPN does is that it let you access websites which are blocked in your locality. So, it uses a different IP of a different location or country, so that you can access those blocked sites.
In simple terms, we can say that a VPN is a network which gives us access to visit the block websites. If you want to know more then check this What is a VPN and How VPN works?
Pros and Cons of Using a VPN?
There is no doubt that with the help of a VPN, we can access the blocked website. This is the main advantage of using a VPN but it comes with some disadvantages. Here are some pros and cons of using a VPN.
Pros of using a VPN
There is no doubt that the pros of using a VPN outweigh its cons. Let us discuss the pros first.
- A VPN safeguards your online identity: If you are a hacker, this is a fantastic tool, as it covers your online activities. However, even if you are not into hacking business, you can use a VPN service to safeguard your online identity. No one can track you and thus, allows you to do anything freely.
- A VPN let you avoid Geo-Blocks: One of the most significant reasons to use a VPN to is let you access the sites which are geographically blocked. So, as the VPN hides your original IP with a virtual one, you can access websites which you can’t access from your location. Meaning you can download media which are unavailable to you before.
- A VPN defend your Online Connections: Online security is one of the biggest threats while you are using the internet. A VPN can protect critical information like Credit card details, Bank account details, Email login credentials, and many more. You don’t even have to worry about these at all as no one can track you.
- A VPN can block Bandwidth Throttling: For those, you don’t know about Bandwidth Throttling, it is a process where your ISP lower down the internet speed sometimes. They do this by tracking the IP addresses. Now, while you are using a VPN, they can’t track your IP and hence, can’t lower down the Bandwidth of your internet.
Cons of using a VPN
Now when we know the pros of using a VPN, let us discuss some of its flaws of using it as well.
- A VPN can occasionally slow down your internet speed: Any VPN typically depends on the server where it has been hosted. Now, if the VPN server is far from your location, it can sometimes slow down your internet speed. Now, suppose you are streaming something online, it can cause significant buffering. So, it is wise to check the server location of the VPN.
- A VPN can sometimes put your online privacy in danger: It is crucial to have some knowledge of the VPN service before you choose to use it. Primarily a VPN is known to protect your online identity. However, if you select a VPN which is not correct for you, it can do the exact opposite of what it supposed to do.
- A VPN can cost you money: A VPN service is primarily free to use. There are hundreds of websites who provide a free VPN service. However, to get the best out of a VPN service, you should buy a VPN service. By doing that, you not only getting a premium service but also get a support service in case you need any help.
- A VPN can have compatibility issues as well: Usually, VPN supports all media and platforms. However, there are several reports regarding the incompatibility of the service. So, if you prefer to use Linux, Chromebook, Boxee Box, or other unusual devices, they may find that the VPN is not working.
A VPN is primarily designed to provide security to online theft issues. From that perspective, it is working just fine. Now, there are some conflicting issues that we have also mentioned as well. We advise you to understand the service and purchase a VPN only from renowned vendors. The positives are the negatives when we are considering a VPN service. So, do a little research and choose wisely!