The Windows operating system includes a convenient and secure tool called Windows Hello, which allows users to unlock their PC using the Windows Hello feature. However, signing into a Windows operating system requires your account password. To enhance security, it’s advisable to generate a strong password, especially if you share your computer with friends or other individuals.
Many users prefer the Windows Hello tool over the traditional password on their computer. However, it can be challenging to remember your password at all times. This is why Microsoft offers a convenient tool called Windows Hello. Nevertheless, most users are unaware of the perfect way to configure Windows Hello on their PC. Without further ado, let’s learn how to set up Windows Hello on a Windows 11 PC.
Table of Contents
What is Windows Hello?
Windows Hello is one of the most convenient and useful tools for unlocking your Windows operating system within a second. You can quickly access the operating system by using Windows Hello features that allow you to access your computer through fingerprint recognition, facial recognition, or a PIN.
You can easily access the Windows Hello program on a Windows 10 or Windows 11 system because it is compatible with both operating systems. However, you have the option to choose from any of the sign-in methods, such as fingerprint recognition, facial recognition, or a PIN on your computer.
The PIN is usually accessible to everyone, but facial and fingerprint recognition primarily depends on your Windows computer’s hardware. Make sure to check whether the computer you’re using is compatible with these features. In case your computer isn’t compatible with facial recognition or fingerprint recognition, you can consider using an external fingerprint reader or camera.
Windows Hello Requirements
When discussing the requirements for configuring Windows Hello on your Windows 11 PC, it depends on the specific biometric authentication method you want to set up, such as fingerprint and facial recognition, or iris scanning, and the version of the Windows OS.
Here are the requirements for setting up Windows Hello on your computer:
You’ll need an infrared (IR) camera or depth camera for facial recognition.
For fingerprint recognition, you must need a fingerprint reader or scanner.
An iris recognition camera for iris scanning.
To set up Windows Hello, you must be running on Windows 10 or Windows 11 version.
Your Windows computer or device needs to meet the hardware requirements and be compatible with Windows Hello.
How to Setup Windows Hello in Windows 11
Setting up Windows Hello on the Windows operating system is pretty straightforward to do. You can easily set up Windows Hello by following the steps below. But before, you need to set up a PIN to access other sign-in options like facial recognition and fingerprint recognition. If you already have Windows 11’s PIN setup, then follow the below steps to set up Windows Hello on your computer.
1. Facial Recognition (Windows Hello)
To configure facial recognition (Windows Hello) on your Windows computer, you first need to create a Windows Hello PIN. After that, you can set up facial recognition.
To set up facial recognition on your Windows 11, follow these steps:
1. Press the Windows + I keys together on the keyboard to open Settings.
2. Click on the Accounts tab on the left pane.
3. Then, click the Sign-in options on the right side.
4. Under the Ways to sign in section, click the Facial recognition (Windows Hello) option.
5. Here, you’ll see the Set up button, click on it.
6. After that, click the GetStarted button.
7. Confirm it by entering your password (PIN).
8. Focus on the camera to create a facial recognition profile of your face.
Once you have created facial recognition on your Windows 11 computer, close the settings and then lock your computer by pressing Windows + L keys together on the keyboard. Now you’ll be able to unlock your Windows 11 computer quickly with facial recognition.
2. Fingerprint Recognition (Windows Hello)
If you want to setup fingerprint recognition (Windows Hello) on your Windows 11 PC, you can easily configure this by following the steps below. However, the steps we’ve outlined must be followed regardless of whether you’re using a USB fingerprint scanner or a built-in fingerprint reader on your Windows computer.
To set up fingerprint recognition on your Windows 11, follow these steps:
1. Press the Windows + I to open Settings.
2. Click on the Accounts tab on the left pane and click the Sign-in options on the right side.
3. Under the Ways to sign in section, click the Fingerprint recognition (Windows Hello) option.
4. Here, click on the Set up button on the right side.
5. Next, you will get the Windows Hello setup window for fingerprint recognition. Here, click the Get started button.
6. Here, you will have to enter the Windows PIN that you have created before.
7. Place your finger on the fingerprint reader.
8. Swipe the finger across the fingerprint reader until it registers completely. Once done, you’ll get all set screen.
9. Finally, click the Close button.
10. Alternatively, you can register a second fingerprint with Windows Hello on your PC. The second fingerprint is more useful when your first fingerprint fails to recognize most of the time.
11. To register a second fingerprint, head over to the Windows Hello setup section. Next, click on the Add a finger button next to Set up another finger. After that, you can set up another fingerprint by following the same procedure.
3. PIN (Windows Hello)
Without entering a PIN, you can’t register facial recognition and fingerprint recognition on your computer. If you don’t know the procedure to create a PIN (Windows Hello) on your Windows 11 computer, worry not. You can quickly register your (Windows Hello) PIN. Or, you can follow the below steps to change the Windows Hello Pin.
To set up PIN (Windows Hello) on your Windows 11, follow these steps:
1. Open Settings on your computer.
2. Navigate to Accounts > Sign-in options
3. Under the Ways to sign in section, click the PIN (Windows Hello) option.
4. Click on the Set up button.
5. Enter the password or PIN you want to set.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up a PIN (Windows Hello) and click on OK.
7. Alternatively, if you already have a PIN setup then you can also change it from the same settings page. Click the PIN (Windows Hello) and click on the Chagne PIN button.
8. Enter the old PIN and then enter the new PIN you want to set and click on the OK button.
How to Disable Windows Hello
In the Windows OS, Windows Hello is a useful and secure way to access your computer in a strong way by using facial recognition, fingerprint recognition, or a PIN. However, there might be a situation where you want to disable Windows Hello for several reasons. In that case, it’s best to disable Windows Hello on the computer.
To disable Windows Hello on your computer, follow these steps:
1. Open Settings.
2. Navigate to Accounts > Sign-inoptions
3. Here, you will see the Window Hello option you have previously set up.
4. Click on the Fingerprint recognition (Windows Hello). You can select the one you want to remove.
5. Finally, click the Remove button.
Note: If you’re using an external USB fingerprint reader or camera, make sure to connect it before disabling Windows Hello on your computer. Also, you can’t remove the Windows Hello PIN from your computer. However, you can change it.
Windows 11 has introduced a convenient and seamless tool to protect your computer by setting up the Windows Hello tool on your computer. However, it’s quite simple to set up the Windows Hello tool by using biometric authentication and PIN on your computer. It improves the overall security and functionality in order to protect your computer.
By following the mentioned steps carefully and setting biometric authentication and PIN, you can enjoy a more efficient and secure experience with your computer. We appreciate hearing feedback from you in the comments section if you have found all of these steps helpful in setting up Windows Hello. Moreover, if you have any queries or doubts related to this, please let us know in the comments section.
He is a computer science student and also a tech writer who has a strong passion for technology. He enjoys spending his time watching tech videos and exploring new ways to discover innovations. He specializes in covering topics related to Android, iOS, and Windows. In his free time, you can also find him playing games.