7-Zip is open-source free software used for extracting zip files on Windows 11, and it is one of the most popular zip extractors as it supports a wide range of formats. Its simple interface and robust features have earned it a loyal user base over the years. If you use Windows 11 and want to install 7-Zip, this guide is for you.
In this article, we will discuss how to download and install 7-Zip on your Windows 11 system and show you how to make the best use of its features. So, without further ado, let’s get started.
Installing 7-Zip on Windows 11 is a straightforward process. Here we will discuss how to download and install 7-Zip on Windows 11. Follow these steps:
1. Open any browser on your system.
2. After that, search for 7-Zip and open this link https://www.7-zip.org/ or simply visit this link. It will redirect you to the 7-Zip download page.
3. On the download page, you will find two download options: 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Depending on your system type, download the appropriate file type.
4. Once the download has been completed, open the 7-zip.exe file.
5. Here, if you want to change the installation location, you can do so by clicking on Browse. Select the location where you want to install the software, and then click OK.
6. Then click on the Install button and wait for the installation to complete.
7. After that, click on the Close button.
How to Setup 7-Zip on Windows 11
Once you have successfully installed 7-Zip on your Windows 11 computer then it’s time to set it up. However, the procedure to set up 7-ZIP on Windows is pretty simple. It is necessary to first set up 7-ZIP to access archive files, like RAR, 7z, and more.
Follow the below steps to know the correct procedure to set up 7-Zip on Windows 11:
1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard to open the Start Menu.
2. In the Windows search box, type 7-Zip File Manager and click Open.
3. Click on the Tools option in the top menu bar and choose Options… from the drop-down menu.
4. Under the Options window, click on the second + button or Plus icon. This will make the 7-Zip the default app to access archive files.
5. Lastly, click on the OK and Apply buttons at the bottom of the window to save the changes.
How to Add 7-Zip in the Right-Click Menu
Windows 11 comes with a feature that lets you add a shortcut button for a specific program. The shortcut button can be easily accessible using the right-click menu on your computer. If you want to add a 7-Zip shortcut to the right-click menu on Windows 11, then you can easily do so.
To add 7-Zip to the right-click menu on your Windows 11 computer, follow these steps:
1. Launch the 7-Zip File Manager on your computer and click on Tools in the top menu bar.
2. From the drop-down menu, choose Options…
3. Under the Options window, click on the 7-Zip tab.
4. Check marks the Icons in context menu and then click on the Apply button to confirm the changes.
5.Then click the OK button at the bottom right corner to save changes.
6. Finally, close the window.
Once you close the window by saving the changes then head over to your computer desktop screen and right-click on any file and you will see the 7-Zip in the menu.
How to Extract 7-Zip in Windows 11
We have installed 7-Zip to extract or compress archive files on a Windows 11 computer. If you want to do the same, you can follow the steps below:
1.First, locate the compressed archive file (e.g., ZIP, 7z) that you’d like to extract.
2. Right-click on the archive file and then click Show more options from the context menu.
3. Click on the 7-Zip and then you will get three options in the submenu: Extract files, Extract Here, Extract to [Folder Name].
4. You can select Extract Here to extract the files to the current folder where the archive file is currently located. However, if you prefer to extract the files to an individual folder then select the Extract files option. But if you want to extract the files to a new folder then select Extract to [Folder Name] from the menu.
5. If you select Extract files…, a new window will appear that allows you to browse and select the folder to extract the files. Choose the folder and click OK to proceed.
6. In case the archive file is protected with a password, then ensure to enter the correct password and click OK to proceed.
7.Now, the 7-Zip will start extracting the files to the specified location on the screen. Once the process is finished, you may find the extracted files in the designated folder.
How to Compress Files using 7-Zip on Windows 11
Compressing files on Windows 11 with 7-Zip is a straightforward process. 7-Zip is a powerful and versatile tool that enables you to compress files efficiently, creating various formats such as ZIP, TAR, GZIP, and more. Whether you need to save space on your disk, arrange your files, or transfer them quickly over the internet, 7-Zip is a reliable solution.
To compress files with 7-Zip, follow the steps below.
1. Press the Windows + E keys together on the keyboard to open File Explorer and select the file (or more than one file) you want to compress.
2. Right-click on the file and select Show more options from the pop-up menu.
3. From the context menu, click on the 7-Zip option.
4. Here, you will see the various options to compare the file using 7-Zip. For instance, if you want to compress the file using the .zip or .7z formats then you should select Add to Filename.7z or Add to Filename.zip option.
5. If you want to compress the file to any other format, then select the Add to archive option from the menu. Plus, you can also choose to Compress to [Folder Name] and mail option from the menu.
6. Also, if you select the Add to archive option then you get various options that you can change accordingly. It allows you to rename the file in the Archive field. You can also be able to change the file location by clicking the square dots button next to the Archive field.
7. To change the Archive format, choose the file type by clicking the down arrow next to the Archive format.
Note: The archive format allows you to select various file types. According to your needs, you can choose either the 7z, bzip2, tar, wim, xx, or zip format. Make sure to select the correct file format from the Archive Format section.
8. Next, you can select the compression level to increase or decrease the compression time (from Store to Ultra). You can choose from the Store to Ultra options according to your preference. Generally, the Store option is for the fastest compression time, and Ultra is for the slowest compression time. You will also find a Normal option, which usually sets to normal and offers a stable compression speed.
9. While compressing the file, you can change the compression ratio with individual algorithms using the Compression method option.
10.Once you finish with the compression option, click on the OK button to begin the compression process.
The compressed archive files will be saved automatically in the original file’s folder or the specified folder and file, depending on your preference. Keep in mind that the time taken for file compression can vary between seconds to hours, based on factors such as the number of files and the size of the folders.
How to Encrypt a File with Password Protection using 7-Zip
7-Zip not only allows you to archive files and make other customizations, but it also enables you to keep your files encrypted with password protection. This is a great way to secure your folders and files from unauthorized access by unknown persons. By applying password protection, your files will be converted into an inaccessible format that can only be read by unlocking the file with the correct password.
Therefore, if you want to encrypt a file with password protection using 7-Zip on your Windows 11 computer, you can easily do so without any hurdles.
Follow the steps below to learn the procedure for encrypting a file with password protection using 7-Zip:
1.Navigate to File Explorer on your computer and select the file (s) or folder(s) you want to encrypt.
2. Right-click on the file or folder and then select Show more options from the context menu.
3. From the menu, click on the 7-Zip and then select Add to archive to launch the compression option.
4.In the Add to Archive window, select the archive format that you prefer from the drop-down menu. Make sure to choose between the 7z or zip format because only these formats are compatible with encryption.
5. Under the Encryption section, click on the Enter password field and type a strong password. Use uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters.
6. Once you have entered the password, confirm it by filling in the password again in the Re-enter password field. If you want to view the password you have entered, click on the Show Password option.
7. If you are using the 7z archive format for compression, then the encryption method AES-256 will be selected by default from the Encryption method option.
8. If you are using the zip archive format, then make sure to select the AES-256 from the drop-down menu under the Encryptionmethod option.
9. Next, if you want to encrypt the file names then check the Encrypt file names option. This option will be only applicable for the 7z formats for compression.
10. Once you are done with all the steps, click on the OK button to begin the encryption process.
Now, 7-Zip will automatically create an encrypted archive file for you that contains the selected files and folders. It is essential to choose a strong password when entering the password for the file or folder. Without the correct password, you can’t access the encrypted files.
That’s it! You have successfully learned how to install and use 7-Zip on your Windows 11 computer. To extract zip files, simply right-click on the file, select 7-Zip from the dropdown menu, and choose either Extract Here or Extract Files. However, if you are looking for instructions on how to install and use WinRAR, you can follow the linked guide.
I hope this article was helpful to you. If you have any questions or doubts, please don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below.
He is a prominent tech writer with over six years of experience and the founder of TheCoderWord. He delivers high-quality content revolving around troubleshooting and how-to guides for Windows, Linux, macOS, Chrome, and more.