Recently, Microsoft released the Copilot features with the Windows 11 23H2 update that integrates with Bing AI, OpenAI chat, and other third-party plugins which will help you in finalizing your daily activities and assignments. With Copilot features, you can effortlessly complete your heavy tasks and other inquiries with ease. However, this will not only enhance the user experience but also ensure that you get accurate and relevant answers.
Although it’s a newly released AI feature, many Windows users don’t know how to enable and use it on their computers. If you’re one of them, worry not. In this guide, we’ll show you how you can easily enable and use the Copilot features on Windows 11. Without any further ado, let’s get started.
Table of Contents
What is Microsoft Copilot?
Microsoft Copilot is an innovative feature in the Windows 11 operating system that uses AI, which will help you in minimizing heavy tasks. However, it is integrated with several Windows settings such as Photos, Outlook, and Paint. You can interact with the Copilot by using text messages or voice, and it can answer your question with a simple step that you can quickly understand.
With Copilot, you can also customize your settings, summarize content, troubleshoot issues, create images, and more. However, this AI feature was recently released by Microsoft which helps users’ productivity and creativity. This feature is available on all Windows 11 PCs, located in the Windows taskbar at the bottom. However, Copilot is integrated with Chat GPT and Bing AI which will help you to get more precise answers to your questions.
How to Enable Microsoft Copilot in Windows 11
Before moving on, it’s important to make sure that you’re using Windows 23H2 on your computer. Copilot is not available on the previous Windows version, so you can’t access it anymore until you update your Windows to the latest version.
Once you’ve updated your Windows operating system, you can easily get it on the taskbar. In case the Copilot isn’t available on the taskbar, follow the mentioned methods to enable it.
1. Using the Windows Settings App
If you have already received the Windows 11 23H2 update and installed it on your computer but can’t find Copilot in the taskbar or in the Microsoft Edge browser, then follow these steps:
1. Press the Windows + I keys to launch Settings.
2. Click on the Personalization tab on the left pane.
3. Then, click on the Taskbar option on the right side.
4. Here, you’ll get taskbar-related settings options. Now, to enable the Copilot (Preview), click on the toggle next to it.
Once you’ve enabled this option, you’ll get the Copilot option in the taskbar. From the taskbar, you can directly access it.
2. Using the Registry Editor
Another best way to enable the Copilot on your Windows 11 computer is by using the registry editor. The Registry Editor serves as a critical database that provides various configurations; users can easily make the changes according to their preferences.
Here are the steps to enable Copilot using the Registry Editor:
1. On the taskbar, click the Windows Search.
2. In the search bar, type Registry Editor and click Open.
3. A User Account Control menu will prompt, click Yes to launch the Registry Editor.
4. Navigate to the following path in the Registry Editor:
7. Then, click on the OK button to apply the changes. After that, restart your computer.
Once you set the Value Data to 1, you will see the Copilot in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. But if you want to disable it, revert the ShowCopilotButton value data to 0.
3. Using the Group Policy Editor
If you are using Windows Pro Edition, you can also enable Copilot on your Windows 11 computer by using the Local Group Policy Editor (LGPE).
Here are the steps to enable Copilot using the Local Group Policy Editor:
1. Press the Windows + R keys to open Run.
2. Type gpedit.msc and hit OK.
3. It will open the Group Policy Editor. Here, navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Copilot.
4. Double-click on the Turn off Windows Copilot policy on the right side.
5. Click on the Not Configured or Disabled option.
6. Click Apply and OK button to apply changes.
7. After that, restart your Windows system and you’ll notice that the Copilot appears in the taskbar.
How to Use Microsoft Copilot in Windows 11
Microsoft Copilot is a new AI-powered tool that has been officially released with the Windows 11 23H2 update. The Copilot preview is now available for all Windows 11 users who are running the latest version. However, if you are not seeing the option, you can enable Copilot on your Windows 11 computer from the taskbar settings or by following the steps above.
Once you enable the Copilot feature on your Windows 11 computer, you can easily use it without any hassle. Accessing Copilot on Windows 11 is quite simple. Here’s how you can use Microsoft Copilot in Windows 11:
1. Click on the Copilot icon in the taskbar to launch it on your Windows 11. Alternatively, you can also launch Copilot by pressing the Windows + C keys together on the keyboard.
2. Once launched, Copilot will show you three conversation modes to choose from:
More Creative: This mode allows Copilot to generate imaginative and innovative content such as essays, songs, celebrity parodies, and more. This mode is especially for those who want to have some fun or get inspired.
More Balanced: This is the default Copilot mode, suitable for most general queries and tasks.
More Precise: This mode makes the Copilot feature focus on objective information. The Precise mode is mainly useful for users who want accurate and reliable answers to their questions.
3. Select the Copilot options that best suit your preferences.
4. Once you select the modes, you can start asking your questions, and Copilot will provide accurate results.
5. Here, you can see that this is how Copilot will respond to your given prompt.
6. Besides this, you can also use Copilot to customize the Windows settings. For example, if I want to turn on dark mode on my device, I will give it the command – ‘Turn on dark mode.’
7. After that, it will ask you for confirmation. Click Yes to confirm turning on dark mode, or you can click on the No thanks option.
8. Now, the Copilot will automatically turn on the dark mode for you on your device.
Therefore, this is how you can easily use Copilot on your Windows 11 by choosing any of the conversation modes. Depending on the questions or modes, Copilot will provide answers that integrate with Bing AI and ChatGPT.
That’s it. By following the simple steps outlined in this guide, you can easily enable and use Copilot on your Windows 11 computer. With Copilot, you can enjoy an enhanced search experience. Make sure to give it a try to explore the world of information with Copilot, which integrates with Bing AI and ChatGPT.
However, Copilot is a newly released tool, and it will take some time to enhance the entire user experience to function well. With its simple interface and exclusive features, you’ll never be disappointed when seeking accurate results.
He is a computer science student and also a tech writer who has a strong passion for technology. He enjoys spending his time watching tech videos and exploring new ways to discover innovations. He specializes in covering topics related to Android, iOS, and Windows. In his free time, you can also find him playing games.